Thursday 10 June 2010
posted by Ashwini Dhekane

Naruto Shippuden’s Worst Episode which was expected to be the Best: Naruto Shippuden’s Viewership

In this post I question the intended viewership of Shippuden. Why such a question arises? You will know soon. Now there a lot of anime out there but very few are worth following, and Naruto deserves fan following. Before starting to pour out my frustrations on last week’s episode titled “Sage Mode Explosion” which should have been titled “Sage Mode Assplosion”, I would like to make it clear that this article is not fit for every reader. Not only because of slangs but it may contain spoilers for those who do not read Naruto Manga. If you just clicked on the “Manga” link in last sentence and don’t know what a manga is then stop right here and don’t read further.

Of Course, I read Manga and have been following Naruto for over an year. I read Naruto v/s Pain or what should I say Kyuubi v/s pain and waited one long year, you know 1.5% time of my life on the planet earth to watch it in live action and with thrilling music and special effects, but what do I get? This is what I get:

Naruto appears.. Hurray!! its time for some ass-kicking. Jiraiya’s theme bring back the old memories and it seems that Naruto is a formidable opponent worthy of a sannin’s “entry” music. Now, director thinks that it is time for some filler, and says lets give importance to other “not-so-important” characters. So, because of his so-much intellectual decision, I have to wait for 10 minutes watching everybody else (not Naruto) recover from Shinra Tensei (They ruined the “Sekkai no Itami o” episode also. The list is long. Anyways .. ) to kill a body in one blow with rasengan. Ok, I watched it and was hopeful that there are not going to be such unworthy interruptions in action anymore. But guess what, the director made one more such decision showing crap about others when there is something much more important going around in some nearby area (He doesn’t give a damn. Damn!!). But, I was not surprised. I knew this is going to happen, but was just hoping otherwise. After a long time of action which was good, but it was not this action for which I was waiting for, it happened. You know it, I was waiting to watch Naruto crushing his opponent under his tremendous power. Yes Futon-Rasenshuriken. Now the moment arrives, Naruto interrupts Pain bragging out his Philosophy of war and suffering, Futon builds up, enormous amount of chakra whirling in Naruto’s hand, Pain’s many resources are put to Naruto’s mercy, Naruto’s sage-teacher is shocked to see such a power, wait, there is more, Naruto throws it, hell-yeah, “how can he throw such a dense mass of chakra”, (after all he is the son of legendary fourth hokage). Then what? Pain was to be crushed and THE EPISODE ENDS.

That long 20 minutes episode out of which 10 minutes was rubbish ended with nothing. Now I am left with a question: what is the intended viewership of Naruto Shippuiden? If you are asking why such a question is important. Because viewers put their expectations, hope, time and many other things to watch an episode every week.

I will divide Naruto viewers into two groups: those who follow manga regularly and those who don’t. I follow manga, so I expect from episodes. This is my own opinion as a viewer who knows what is going to happen. But story and plot is not the only motivation, I watch it because it has action, music, moving people. Anime serves something that a manga is not able do, it creates a interactive environment where you have to use more than one sense to perceive the scene (This is what attracts me to Naruto Anime).

I will continue watching this anime till it does not frustrate me to the limits (Bleach has crossed this limit). But, I still wonder how many people watch Naruto Shippuden for story alone and how many watch it for action.

0 comments:
add your own